Saturday, December 4th, 4 to 6 p.m. – annual Lights Walk at the Urban Abbey, 1026 Jackson Street in Omaha’s Old Market. Surface parking lots and parking meters are available in the area. Cost is $3 per walker. The Urban Abbey will have hot drinks for sale, while our club will provide complimentary cookies. Our host has asked us to support their mission with the YES Maternity Group Home by bringing diapers for sizes 3 and up. We’ll be offering “diaper shares” for a $5 donation. Donations are not required, but as always, are greatly appreciated. Register online using this eRegistration Link. MASKS REQUIRED DURING CHECK-IN.
Monday, December 6th, 7 p.m. – monthly club meeting at Morning Star Lutheran Church, 331 S. 85th Avenue, Omaha, in the chapel. After our speaker, a short business meeting will be conducted, including in-person voting for 2022 Club Officers and the 2021 Walker of the Year. MASKS REQUIRED.
–>Note about voting: The club tried a new (free) way to conduct on-line voting for 2022 Club Officers and the 2021 Walker of the Year. We’re learning that several club members may not have received the link to vote, due to their internet provider’s spam filters. If you are a club member and wish to vote on-line (rather than in-person at the club meeting on December 6th), first check your Spam Folders for the November 16th invitation to vote. If you can’t find it, contact email@example.com and you’ll be sent the link to vote.
12/31/2021 – That’s when all club memberships expire. Look for your renewal notice, coming soon.
The 2022 Calendar of Walks and Events will be posted as soon as a couple of details get finalized. Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 9 a.m. at the Westroads Mall is the first group walk of the year, so mark your calendars now!
Our club’s latest newsletter is now available! Click here to read it: September – October 2021 newsletter Of course, club members receive the full newsletter hot off the presses. Here’s your chance to join – just follow the instructions on this page: “How to Become a Club Member”
Just in case you don’t get the newsletter read before 7 p.m. on Monday, September 13th – we’re having an in-person club meeting tonight! Our meeting place is still at Morning Star Lutheran Church at 331 S. 85th Avenue in Omaha, but the room has been moved upstairs to the chapel. Our speaker tonight from the Papio-Missouri NRD will talk about local trails. He will be followed by a short business meeting. Our meeting room host requires that masks be worn inside the church building, so please be prepared to mask up upon entry.
Our most recent newsletter is now available. All of the details for our July and August club outings are in it, so you’ll want to read it right away!
Our “Weekday Walks” have been very popular. Our next walk is Monday, July 12th at 10 a.m. for a 5k out-and-back on the Wabash Trace in Council Bluffs, IA. This walk is free, but the Wabash Trace does request a $2 per person payment in order to use the trail. Meet at the Iowa West Trailhead Park at the intersection of Harry Langdon Blvd. & E. S. Omaha Bridge Rd. Please arrive 15 minutes early so that everyone can get walking by 10 a.m.
Future weekday walks are dependent on volunteer availability to lead a walk, summer weather and vacation schedules. Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to lead a walk and where.
Reservations for a box lunch for the July 24th outing in Ashland, NE are due by July 15th. All the details are in the newsletter, so if you haven’t read it yet, do it now!
Box lunches will also be available for purchase for the August 14th outing at Chalco Hills in SW Omaha. You did read about it in the newsletter, didn’t you?
We want to recognize our past president, Lee Frantz, for the AVA Meritorious Service Award he received during our January 11th Annual Meeting (via Zoom). That award is given for five years (or more) of outstanding service to the AVA. Lee’s accomplishments as Club President and as Trailmaster for the Nebraska Wander Freunde Trailblazers take quite a bit of space to list and are all the more remarkable when looking at the extreme events our club has experienced during his tenure, from our 2017 Eclipse Events through the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic. Lee credits his wife, Donna Campbell, for her shared enthusiasm of Volkssporting. Congratulations, Lee!
Relax – it’s almost time to vote for our 2020 Walker of the Year and our 2021 Club Officers. A proposed set of amendments to the bylaws concerning club dues is also on the ballot. Because our bylaws require us to give 14 days’ notice to club members before voting on an amendment, voting won’t begin until November 25th. Our club president emailed the details to all current club members this morning, which are also attached here for your review.
Club members will be sent an email with a link to vote online for all three items: 2021 Club Officers; 2020 Walker of the Year; Proposed Amendments to the Bylaws. (Club members with another adult in the household will be sent a second email.) If you don’t vote online, the club will have to mail you a ballot, to conform with our bylaws stating that a majority of club members have to approve an amendment to the bylaws. That costs money (and a bunch of time) to do, so remember: Your Vote Counts!
There’s a newsletter, of course, but there are some important things you need to know about November.
- The November 7th Pie Walk in Ashland is CANCELLED.
- The December 5th Lights Walk in downtown Omaha has been MOVED to Nebraska’s Christmas City: Seward, Nebraska. Register online at Christmas City eRegistration and arrive at Living Word Lutheran Church, 1300 West Hillcrest Drive, Seward, NE 68434 between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. The cost is $2 for Fun Walkers and $3 for Credit Walkers (book stampers) payable by exact change or a check (made out to NWFT) placed in an envelope when you check in. After your 5k or 10k walk, stay for a tour of Nebraska’s largest Christmas lights display. Starting at 6 p.m. you can drive through the Magical Christmas Lights of Seward at the fairgrounds. Cost is $20 per vehicle (not payable to us). See https://magicallightsofseward.com/ for all the details.
- Voting for Club Officers and 2020’s Walker of the Year will take place during November. Details are in the newsletter, although the start of voting may be delayed because of some technical difficulties.
- The December 7th club meeting is CANCELLED.
- Finally, membership during 2021 is FREE! Club membership allows you to get all this news delivered to your inbox as it happens, receive the full newsletter as soon as it comes out, and the opportunity to vote for club officers and Walker of the Year. Here’s a link to the membership form, so that you can take advantage of this great opportunity. The full details on how the free membership works are . . . you guessed it! . . . in the newsletter.
June 1st Club Meeting: CANCELED
June 6th Group Walks: CANCELED
Our next scheduled event is the Group Walk of the Waubonsie State Park 5k and 10k trails at 8:00 a.m., followed by Lake of Three Fires at 1 p.m. We’ll remind you as the time comes closer, never fear!
May 4th Club Meeting: CANCELLED
May 9th Walk: CANCELLED
Follow all health directives, so that we can see you once again in June!
Please note that the following events have been changed (updated May 21, 2020):
- June 6th Group Walk at Lewis and Clark State Park, Iowa – CANCELED
- June 6th Group Walk at Stone State Park, Iowa – CANCELED
- June 20th Group Walk hosted by Iowa’s Walking Club at Mines of Spain State Park – CANCELED
Any questions, please let us know at email@example.com.